20.3.14

making butterfly brooches


I had been wanting to make some small gifts, and after thinking about it for a few days, I started cutting circles and butterflies from felt... If you would like to make some butterfly brooches, too, please follow along!


SUPPLIES
Small scraps of felt in at least three colors

Embroidery floss and a needle

Fabric scissors

Safety pins


To start, I cut the larger circles approx. 33 mm (1 1/4 inches) wide and the smaller circles approx. 27 mm (1 1/8 inches) wide.  The butterfly wings are 40 mm (1 1/2 inches) across.  Depending on your preference, you could cut your pieces slightly larger.


The butterflies are attached to the smaller felt circles by the stitches which form their bodies.  To embroider the bodies, I made one long stitch down the center of each butterfly, and then, on either side of the long stitches, I made stitches which were half the length (see photo above).

The heads are large French knots, and the antennae are stitched using a single strand separated from a piece of 6-strand embroidery floss.


After the heads & bodies were embroidered, I used an applique stitch to sew the smaller circles to the larger circles.



The final step is to carefully sew a safety pin to the back of the brooch; or if you are thinking ahead, you could sew the pin to the larger felt circle before you sew together the larger and smaller circles.


And that's it... you're done. 

Happy Spring!

3 comments:

  1. Awww, these are adorable, and so simple! I really need to get some felt to work with on all these project ideas I've been gathering lately. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to make some for my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm going to try making one of these for my daughter's Easter basket - I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)