16.12.15

cookies



Last December, I stitched up a little runaway gingerman inspired by the pattern from this book. My version is a puppet which can walk (or run), and there is an explanation of how I created it HERE in my post from last year.


Truly, gingerbread cookies are favorites in my house.  We've already eaten our way through one batch and are set to make another batch tomorrow.  The dough is sturdy, making it easier for little hands to roll out and cut nice looking cookies.  Plus, I'm a sucker for just about anything cooked with molasses.


We like the recipe from this book;  the dough is not very sweet, so it's perfect if you are planning to ice the cookies.  We don't generally put icing on ours, so to compensate, I add an extra 1/4 to a 1/2 cup of brown sugar to the batch.  Besides the cookie recipe, the story is a pretty wonderful follow-up to Jan Brett's story of The Gingerbread Baby.


Note :: I was rummaging around online and found Jan Brett's gingerbread baby recipe on her website HERE

2 comments:

  1. I'm so grateful to you for offering this combination of a more gentle gingerbread story and a little running puppet! I'm looking forward to a cookie-making and story day with my dear granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! We adore Jan Brett's version of the Gingerbread Man and her sequel is even better (plus the illustrations... oh, my...). I hope you have a lovely day with your granddaughter.

      Delete

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)